Grupa LOTOS S.A. - Integrated Annual Report 2012
Mission, vision, values
The mission of the LOTOS Group is to pursue innovation-oriented, sustainable development in the areas of exploration, production and processing of hydrocarbons and marketing of high-quality products, which is conducive to creating lasting value for shareholders, ensuring customer satisfaction, enhancing and leveraging the employee potential, and which is carried out:
- in accordance with corporate social responsibility principles,
- in an environmentally friendly manner, and
- in compliance with the energy security policy.
We strive to be perceived as the most reputable oil company in the Baltic Sea region, widely recognised for:
- high-quality petroleum products,
- first-rate customer service, and
- professional management style.
Our overriding strategic objective is to create value for shareholders through optimised deployment of human and material resources and implementation of development programmes in the field of:
- exploration and production,
- crude oil processing,
The efforts we undertake in the social and business spheres, in our relations with key stakeholders and in corporate governance are aimed principally to:
- ensure compliance with law and ethical standards,
- increase our positive contribution to social development,
- mitigate possible adverse impacts of our operations and the associated risks,
- maximise our chances for sustainable development over the long term.
Values underlying the LOTOS Group’s corporate social responsibility:
- transparency – stands for compliance with the most exacting environmental standards, commitment to ethical and fair competition, and counteracting human rights abuses,
- openness – stands for the right attitude towards change, external needs and expectations, future-oriented approach, and dynamic expansion of international operations,
- innovativeness – stands for the capacity to recognise people’s intellectual capital and skills driving the strength and prospects of the LOTOS brand,
- responsibility – stands for the right attitude towards mankind and its future, the environment, security of our home country and its international position. Anticipating and addressing the consequences of our decisions. Fulfilling our obligations and being true to our word. Making no empty declarations.
In our activities, we are guided by the key principle of legal compliance and responsibility for the impact of our operations on the world around us. In the Code of Ethics implemented in 2012, employees of the LOTOS Group committed to behave in accordance with the following ethical values:
- professionalism – we try to make the most of our knowledge and skills by actively applying them in our work. We build the organization’s value primarily on the professionalism of our staff, who all aspire to being experts in their respective fields. We perform our duties to the highest standards of care and objectivity, striving to continually improve our skills and professional qualifications.
respect - our respect manifests itself in such decisions and actions that do not infringe the dignity of other individuals and entities. We follow the principle of respect in building our relations with employees, as well as with business and social partners.
We respect the diversity and equality of all our associates and representatives of the LOTOS Group partners, irrespective of their nationality, race, sex, age, disability, religious denomination, political convictions or sexual orientation.
transparency - we act and communicate transparently in our relations with employees, clearly and intelligibly defining their rights and obligations, and justifying decisions that affect them. We make sure that our employees have access to all information they need to properly perform their duties.
Transparency is a value we adhere to in our external relations, by openly communicating our decisions, actions and reasons by which we are guided in mutual relations, especially with customers, suppliers, participants of the capital market and local communities.
- cooperation - cooperation is a defining feature of our approach to building mutual relations in such a way as to maximise benefits for the LOTOS Group, with due regard to the interests of the other party. Cooperation is based on open communication, trust and strong focus on the achievement of common goals. That value is applied both in our internal and external relations.
As a corporate citizen, in all areas of our activity we endorse and abide by the ten principles of United Nations Global Compact, a voluntary international corporate citizenship initiative of unprecedented reach, which we joined in 2009.
Principles of UN Global Compact
- Support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights,
- Eliminate human rights abuse,
- Uphold the freedom of association,
- Eliminate all forms of forced or compulsory labour,
- Support the effective abolition of child labour,
- Effectively eliminate discrimination in employment,
- Support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges,
- Undertake initiatives designed to promote environmental responsibility,
- Encourage development and diffusion of environmentally-friendly technologies,
- Work against all forms of corruption, including extortion and bribery.